The rich reserves of traditional medicine, the latest scientific achievements and the application of new technology, additionally developing its role in health outreach in Iran will help enlarge the knowledge world at the global level as a member of health care team. In a way that it will gain the highest position in different sub branches of pharmacy in Iran and the neighboring countries.
Pharacognosy is the science of Pharmaceutical ingredients of natural resources and as a whole tries to investigate and study natural drug resources. Natural resources may consist of herbal, animal, microbial or other natural resources. The courses presented in Pharacognosy department in Zanjan Pharmacy Faculty are theoretical and practical courses of pharmaceutical herbs, Pharacognosy 1, and 2, and practical Pharacognosy.
Sub-branches of Pharacognosy are as follows:
Extraction of essential oils in pharmaceutical herbs and Identification of their compounds are of one of the studies that is being conducted in this area.
- Extraction and separation of natural compounds: this sub-branch of Pharacognosy adverts to extraction and purification of chemical compounds available in pharmaceutical herbs and other sources of natural drugs and in this case particularly takes use of phytochemistry. Different methods of extraction and purification of materials (such as various chromatographic methods) and methods for identifying molecular structures of compounds (different types of NMR techniques, mass spectrometry, ultraviolet spectroscopy, IR and …..) are of the most important methods used in the field of pharmacognosy.
- Phytopharmacology and the evaluation of the biological effects of pharmaceutical herbs: In this section, the medicinal effects of the herbs and the possibility of their conversion to the drug are examined.
- Phytotherapy: This section examines the clinical applications of pharmaceutical herbs, its consumption, interference, and clinical complications.
- Quality control of pharmaceutical herbs and herbal products: Applying macroscopic examination methods, organoleptic and microscopic methods for herbal raw drugs, physical methods, and also phytochemicals for controlling these products.
- Phytotoxicology: Investigating the toxicity and unwanted side effects of pharmaceutical herbs.
- Preparation of herbal products based on traditional medicine texts and new findings.
- Cell cultivation and the tissue of pharmaceutical herbs with the goal of producing optimal natural pharmaceutical compounds.