Zanjan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services
Zanjan is located in Northwest of Iran alongside the international transit road, close to provinces which share borders with neighboring countries such as Turkey and Azerbayejan.
Zanjan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services (ZUMS) is a state university which was founded in 1987. This university mainly focuses on three goals of graduate and postgraduate programs for training and education of physicians, dentists, pharmacists, and other health care specialists, implementation of research programs and treatment services. Teaching and research are implemented in five faculties: Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health & Paramedical Sciences, Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery, and Faculty of Dentistry.
Principle qualifications awarded by ZUMS, consisted of:
- PhD degree in five fields; medical biotechnology, molecular medicine, parasitology, pharmaceutical nanotechnology, and pharmaceutics.
- Clinical specialty degree in eight clinical fields, including anesthesiology, general surgery, obstetrics & gynecology, pediatrics, infectious diseases, internal medicine, psychiatry and neurology.
- MSc degree in 11 fields of basic medical sciences, genetics and biotechnology
- General doctoral degree in medicine, pharmacy and dentistry.
- Bachelor degree in 10 fields
The university vice-chancellor for education is interested in developing international academic collaborations and planning for bilateral or multilateral joint degrees and courses at particular undergraduate and postgraduate fields.
The ZUMS is now organized and is ready for admitting foreign students for either course-based or research based degrees.
Research facilities :
The ZUMS attaches great importance to supporting research in different fields of medicine. The following research centers were established over the last decade:
- Research Center of Cancer Gene Therapy
- Metabolic Diseases Research Center
- Research Center of the Effects of Social Agents on Health
- Research Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanobiotechnology
Six other new research centers, as follows, are either active in their duty or approaching their completion.
- Fertility Research Center
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Research Center
- Research Center for Accident and Trauma
- Research Center for Infectious Diseases and local Endemic Diseases
- Research Center for Neurosciences
- Research Center for Water and Bioenvironmental
Faculty of Pharmacy is equipped enough to perform variety of research projects, i.e. development of liposomal drug delivery system, modeling solubility, mechanisms of cell toxicity, development of plant in vitro culture, tissue engineering, pharmaceutical chemistry, antimalarial drug studies.
Zanjan Pharmaceutical Technologies Incubator established in the Faculty of Pharmacy and actively supports the researchers' projects and original findings.
Several research laboratories, including Central Research Lab, are equipped for practical parts of the projects.
- An international English journal is currently published as an open access journal entitled: Controlled Release Journal ( http://www.cr-journal.com ).
- Another accredited journal is published in Persian with abstracts in English that is indexed in some data banks, including Scopus; its title is: Journal of Zanjan University of Medical Sciences & Health Services ( http://zums.zums.ac.ir/journal ).
- Journal of Medical education which presently publishes national articles on medical education
- Nursing and midwifery Journal as another national journal which focuses on research in nursing and midwifery issues.
Musavi Hospital: The university authorizes a number of teaching hospitals admitting out-patient and in-patient cases in several clinics and wards. The major one is a highly specialized training and treatment center named Mousavi or Moosavi Hospital with 540 fixed beds.
This center was recognized as one of the best of its kind for its board of trustees in 2009 by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education and committed to provide services to the population of Zanjan and other neighboring provinces.
The Iranian National Productivity and Business Excellence award was given to this center.
Several clinics and wards are in responsibility of treatment services, including neonatal subspecialties with advanced apparatus, obstetrics and gynecology, general surgery, neurosurgery, and pediatric neurosurgery. Among vast number of other clinics and treatment centers, mamomography and painless delivery can be referred to as the newly established ones.
Contact: Tel: +98 241 4130000 Fax: +98 241 4131203 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Center of Cardiac Surgery: O ne of the best- equipped cardiac surgery and trauma centers which was established in 2007, is based in Musavi Hospital. The cardic surgery and I.C.U wards maintaining the latest and state-of-the-art equipment is considered as a supreme center and tends to compete with other similar centers across the country.
Hundreds of open heart surgeries, including coronary artery bypass, aortic and mitral valve replacement have been Performed in this center without any mortality throughout the surgeries.
Angiography ward is also a complement to the center with the performance of angiography and angioplasty of the coronary and peripheral vessels, congenital and non-congenital catheterize of left and right chambers.
Vali-e Asr Treatment and Training Center: This is another major teaching and treatment center. This hospital covers other clinical requirements such as infectious diseases ward, metabolic disorders and diabetes clinic, internal medicine, respiratory diseases, gastrointestinal disease, rheumatology, …
Wound Clinic: This special clinic was established in 2010 with collaboration of international consultants from world known centers such as Trinitas Medical Center of the USA and has started its treatment services.
Dental diseases treatment and health services areavailable in relevant centers authorized by the university.
Medical tourism and treatment visit: The medical and treatment facilities available at ZUMS in Zanjan, provide a great potential for attracting people in need for medical and treatment services from other countries, particularly neighboring Asian states. Provision of these services for foreign visitors and tourists has already been started.